Applications for this position have closed.
We’re here to build a world where learning is a human right. Our deepest impact happens when we dismantle systems of oppression with a curious mindset, intentional collaboration and global connection.
Akimbo, Inc. is a public benefit corporation that creates online learning experiences for leaders across the globe. Our courses celebrate our shared humanity and teach students the skills to change the systems that shape our world.
Akimbo started with the creation of the altMBA, a 4-week online, leadership workshop designed by Seth Godin. Since 2015, Akimbo has served more than 23,000 students in 74 countries, worked with 100 plus coaches, transitioned to become a B corp under new leadership, and has become more intentional about creating a culture of equity, inclusion, and belonging.
At Akimbo, we lead with Intention, Collaboration, Curiosity and Love. These values are a Culture Compass, guiding us toward equitable community and impactful work. Visit our about page to learn more about us.
About The Position
The Director of Operations is responsible for maintaining and improving Akimbo's day-to-day operations. The responsibilities are a mix of project management, internal reporting, and systems design. They handle all of the behind-the-scenes logistics that keep the metaphorical trains running on time. The 2021 workshop calendar has a new launch every two to three weeks. One of our major goals for the year is streamlining the launch process so that we can free up the resources needed to build what's next.
This role is internally-focused. While we have a strong network of contractors, consultants, and coaches, The Director of Operations will primarily work with the other full-time employees.
We are actively seeking candidates who are:
- Systems thinkers. Seeing the big picture and understanding how the different parts of a complex interconnected system influence each other.
- Organized. Able to take chaotic, messy inputs and arrange them coherently and clearly so that it's easier to get useful outputs.
- Analytical. Able to disassemble an interconnected whole into smaller chunks, and in doing so draw useful conclusions about how the whole works.
- Detail-oriented. Committed to executing on both the big and the small parts to ensure quality.
- Tech literate. Able to leverage tools that help streamline operations. You don’t need to code or build software, but we want you to be able to think through the trade-offs for when to use an automated process vs. having a human involved.
- Strong communicators. Able to ensure clear hand-offs and persuade stakeholders of the importance of something instead of needing to rely on authority to get things done.
- Collaborative. Working alongside the team to create resilient and sustainable workflows. Doing your part while trusting others to do theirs..
- Thoughtful. Thinking through all the different steps of a process, and asking insightful questions about the purpose and consequences of the different options.
- Curious. Understanding that you don't have all the answers while creating space to learn from those around you.
- Responsible. Able to make promises and keep them.
- Empathetic. Understanding the needs and desires of the different stakeholders, and being able to see things from their point of view.
- Committed to anti-racism and social justice. Akimbo is building a culture that proactively works against hate, violence, and harm. We expect our staff and students to name, notice, and dismantle systems of oppression in our company, the community, and the world.
The Director of Operations will report to the CEO and will work closely with the other full-time employees.
The Director of Operations is focused internally on all of the behind-the-scenes logistics that are required to keep the company running day-to-day. This includes but is not limited to:
- Coordinate tasks
- Ensure clear and efficient hand-offs
- Manage the schedule
- Remind team members of deliverables and due dates
- Track progress towards project completion
- Keep project management software up-to-date
- Launch on schedule (keep our promises)
- Prepare upcoming workshops and events for launch
- Track and implement new workshop features developed by other departments
- Coordinate launch activities with other departments
- Communicate session-specific changes and experiments
- Prepare learning platform and provide quality assurance to stakeholders
- Technical set up, following existing documentation
- Version tracking for a teacher's workshop content
- Additional operations support as needed to bring new offerings to market
- Measure the effectiveness of our current operational processes
- Analyze our current effectiveness against company objectives
- Recommend process improvements that maximize efficiency and productivity without compromising the quality of the product
- Lead interdepartmental collaboration to implement improvements
- Collaborate with the CEO in the development and tracking of performance goals (OKRs), long-term operational plans, and company objectives.
- Collaborate with the CEO and Chief Learning Officer in setting the annual workshop calendar.
- Demonstrate subject matter expertise in process improvement, organizational design, and measurement systems.
- Develop, implement, and monitor day-to-day operational systems
- Gather, analyze and interpret business data and metrics
- Provide visibility into goals, progress, and obstacles for our company objectives
- Oversee the documentation of all operational processes
- Ensure that consistent, efficient workflows are in place
- Help manage our relationship tracking for customers, contractors, and vendors
Location & Time Zone
Akimbo is a remote, distributed company—we do not have an office, employees work from the location that best suits their needs, and all communications take place using digital tools.
We don’t care where you choose to live or work, but your existing eligibility to work in the United States (as determined by the US Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification requirements) will determine the details of the job offer.
We require employees to be generally available during “office hours” so that real-time collaboration is easier. Office hours are Monday to Friday as follows. Outside of office hours, employees can schedule their working time as best suits their needs.
- San Francisco: 10am - 1pm
- Chicago: 12pm - 3pm
- New York: 1pm - 4pm
- London: 6pm - 9pm
- Sydney: 3am - 6am
Note: we know this is far from ideal for people in Australia, and while we do have students in AEDT/AEST (Sydney), the majority of our students and staff—six out of seven—are better served by the overlap provided in the above office hours.
Salary + Benefits
$120,000 USD, non-negotiable.
We believe that when we give people the opportunity to negotiate salaries, we reward those people who are skilled at negotiation. Being a good negotiator does not mean you have more job experience or that you will do better on the job. For this reason, we offer a fixed salary level for all people at the same job level. Our intention is to avoid unconscious bias that leads to pay discrimination.
Akimbo offers all full-time employees health insurance (medical, dental, and vision), paid time off for federal holidays, an informal “take what you need” vacation policy, and a flexible remote work policy.
What We Welcome and Encourage
We welcome all applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, ability or gender identity—and encourage Black, Indigenous, and non-Black people of color (BIPOC) to apply. We also encourage Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual (LGBTQIA+) folks, disabled people, and all people with non-dominant identities to apply.
Our community is committed to creating intersectional belonging that centers the voices and experiences of people with non-dominant identities—by focusing on impact over intent and prioritizing healing and learning over the comfort of our dominant community members. See our Community Practices for more detail on what we ask of people who work and learn with us.
We are using an anonymous system in our application form, which will record your name, but hide it during the first pass of written application review. We're doing this because research by the American Economic Association has shown that employers motivated by unconscious bias are 50% more likely to call back equally qualified job applicants with a "white-sounding" name. We’ll review the videos and a candidate’s name after we’ve used the anonymous system for the first pass.
What We Don’t
No resumes, no college degree required, no required number of years of experience. We acknowledge that the traditional higher education system and the related hiring pipeline to famous companies predominately favors wealthy, white Americans. As a learning institution we care about what you've learned throughout the course of your life, and we believe the best candidates will have learned relevant job skills and developed their leadership experience in a wide variety of ways.
We do not drug test or run criminal background checks. We acknowledge that law enforcement, the courts, and the carceral system disproportionately and damagingly affect the lives of Black and non-Black people of color.
We reject oppressive dress and grooming codes (like being "clean cut"), which reinforce white cultural norms. Someone's physical appearance and presentation is none of our damn business.
Note: the application includes both a written portion and a recorded video segment. For the video section, please choose a quiet spot where you could take a call. Production quality does not matter to us so long as we can see and hear you clearly. You’ll be able to complete the video section using any device that lets you participate in a video call (mobile, tablet, or desktop/laptop).
If you have questions about the application process, join us on Wednesday, June 23rd at 3:30pm Eastern (New York time) for a webinar info session about the job and Akimbo.
For everything else you can reach us at [email protected].
Applications close the night of Wednesday, July 7th at 11:59pm (midnight) Eastern Time (New York).
We’ll review applications on a rolling basis, first the written section, then the video responses. For candidates who are invited to interview, we’ll follow up by email to schedule a time. The start date is flexible.
PPS - We're also hiring for a Director of Student Experience.